Document Requirements for Notary

About Your Documents:  Please Read This Before Your Appointment!

When you call us for an appointment, we need to make sure that certain conditions exist in order for us to perform a notarization.


Please have a valid IDENTIFICATION, like a driver’s license (from any U.S. state, Canadian Province, or Mexican state), state identification (from any U.S. State) , U.S. Passport, or Foreign Passport (which has been stamped by U.S. Customs or the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security only). The Mexican Consular Matricula Card is not an acceptable identification in California for purposes of being notarized. An identification that is expired can be used only if it was issued within the last 5 years.

If you do not have a valid identification, then you can bring 2 people with you to the appointment who know you who can act as Credible Witnesses. Each of these persons must have a valid identification (unexpired ID or issued within the last 5 years) as mentioned above. Each witness must not have a financial interest in the documents being signed, and each witness must not be named in the documents being signed.

Acceptable identification includes Driver Licenses from any U.S. State, Canada, and Mexico, issued within the past 5 years.

Please also be advised that I do not notarize blank documents. All documents that you present to me must have all applicable blanks filled in (this is to prevent fraud or other problems that may arise later). Note: for jurats or affidavits, you must leave the signature line blank, because the notary has to actually witness you sign the document.

I cannot give legal advice. Please consult with an attorney or qualified professional if you have any questions about the content of your documents prior to making an appointment with me. If you need ongoing legal assistance, I can refer you to an affordable, low-cost Legal Service Plan from which you can get ongoing legal advice from real California attorneys for as little as $16 per month (on a month-month basis, cancelable at any time).

Notaries in California are authorized to notarize documents by performing an Acknowledgment,  Jurat, or Oath. You can download the California All-Purpose Acknowledgment Form here, or the California Jurat Form here.  There is not a prescribed general form for an Oath.  

Common documents that we can typically notarized include:

– Deeds – Grant Deeds, Quitclaim Deeds, Deed of Trust, and more

– Trusts

– Power of Attorney – Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare,  Durable Power of Attorney for Asset Management, General Power of Attorney, Limited Power of Attorney, and more

Photocopies of Passports,  Driver Licenses, or  Diplomas,  and any other document ex- cept for certain documents which are prohibited for Notaries to notarize (like copies of Vital Records, or any other copies which are obtainable as Certified Copies by the local, State or Federal governments).

– Contracts

– Assignments

– Agreements

– Court Documents – Answers, Pleas, and more

– Application for Birth, Marriage or Death Certificate  By Mail- (Statement of Identity)

– Authorization to Release Vehicle

– DMV Forms – certain forms from the California Department of Motor Vehicles which require notarization

– Release and Waiver Forms-  required for applicants to the Los Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles County Sherriff’s Department

For any of the forms that we mentioned, offer Apostille Services and Public Document Authentication Services, for documents that will be used in another country.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for choosing Hollywood Notary.Net!


David L. Ransom, Jr., Notary Public and Business Owner, Hollywood Notary.Net (323)393-5822

2 Responses to Document Requirements for Notary

  1. Clara says:

    I have a question. If a California Notary Public can’t notarize an ENTITY STATUS LETTER, but the destination country is still asking for it to be legalized or authenticated, does it still go directly to the State office in order to get an apostille on it?

  2. David Ransom says:

    Hi Clara.

    Where does that Entity Status Letter come from? If it is from the California Secretary of State or from a County Clerk/County Recorder, and bears their signature and seal, then yes, it can go to the California Secretary of State’s office to receive the Authentication. You can always call the Secretary of State’s office in Sacramento if you have any questions about it.

    Thank you.

    David Ransom
    Hollywood Notary Dot Net

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *